Monday, April 16, 2012

Full Military Honors

I was asked yesterday morning by a friend and client to do something I've never done before - take some pictures at a burial service, that afternoon.  Her father's burial.  A full military honors burial.  I had no hesitation to give her an answer.  Yes.  Without a doubt.  It would be an enormous honor. 

Her father was a man of God.  A POW in World War II.  Although I didn't know him personally, I'd only ever heard wonderful things about him.  The respect and love that everyone at the burial had for him was obvious in their faces. 

I knew before leaving my home and even more upon arriving at the burial site, seeing military men standing around, waiting for the funeral procession to arrive, that my emotions, along with others, were going to soar.  Soar in grief for the loss of someone so dear, soar in happiness knowing that he is now in the Lord's presence, soar in pride for the service he did for The United States of America.  Wow.  What a moment...

The hearse arriving, followed by a string of cars that seemed to last forever.  The military men in salute as that hearse drove by them, and the same salute from more of those in service or who'd been in service as the flag-laden casket was pulled from the back of the hearse by the pallbearers.  Family and friends gathered under and around the small canopy area where the casket was being placed.  The encouraging words from a son-in-law, the prayer from a pastor. The firing squad, doing the gun salute, the bugle player on Taps, the folding of the American flag and giving of it to a grandson.  The placing of red roses and white carnations on the casket by grandchildren and the pallbearers.  The hugs, holding, words spoken and words unspoken done by those after the service.  It was a short service but an emotional one that will always have a lasting impression on me, for many different reasons. 

I will never forget it.













(Most of the photos were taken from plenty of a distance, as to maintain respect toward the family and service.  All photos posted with permission by my friend & client).

7 comments:

  1. These are wonderful, awesome pictures. Even though this was someone else's dad...it brought back many memories because my dad, too, served in WWII and he is also at home in heaven. Thank you so much for sharing these pictures, and thanks to the family for allowing others to have a peek at a hero going home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this beautiful tribute

    ReplyDelete
  3. So incredibly proud of my dad! He was a hero in SO many ways!!! Love you, Dad! <3 Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, your father epitomized The Greatest Generation.

      Delete
  4. I was teary just looking at these (hearing Taps encouraged that, too!), these are great photos. It's times like these when one is thankful to be able to "hide" somewhat behind a camera. Thanks for posting these, I was hoping you would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GOD, give us men!
    A time like this demands
    Strong minds, great hearts, true faith and ready hands;
    Men who have honor; men who will not lie;
    by: Josiah Gilbert Holland

    parts of this poem was read during the funeral as a fitting, descriptive tribute to a sweet, Christian man and a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am one of Papa's grandkids and I just wanted to say thank you so much. These pictures are absolutely beautiful and will remain dear to my heart for the rest of my life. You captured each moment so perfectly. Thank you again. -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Labels