Friday, August 19, 2011

Family Mini-Session Contestants/VOTE!

**CONTEST NOW CLOSED**

Instructions: Vote for your favorite contestant by submitting their name to the comments section below.  Contestants, you MAY vote for yourselves.  Voting ends on Sunday, 8/21 at midnight, at which that time I will tally the votes.  You may vote twice - once here and once on Facebook (you're only able to vote on Facebook if you're a 'fan' of Boy & Girl Photography, so become a fan!).

(Story first, and the corresponding family's picture below it)

Vargas Family - "WIth a two year old and five year old it is truly difficult to think of one embarrassing or funny incident.  Our mundane daily routine seems to be filled with some whoopers!   For instance, when I was about 8 months pregnant with my daughter, we were at the Honda dealer waiting for the car to be serviced and I took my son into the bathroom.  Upon returning to the packed waiting room he loudly and proudly proclaimed, "My mommy has a boy part (substituting anatomically correct term he used" just like me and Daddy!"    I about died of embarrassment but, am pretty sure everyone laughing in the room knew the truth!"

May Family - "So this is our family and this is the funny story I have related to the picture.
Rodney and I sold all our belongings and moved 3 hours away from our hometown and family to attend college. Our children were two and 4 months old. We lived in the family dorm housing on campus inside of New Tribes Bible Institute in Jackson, Michigan. When we arrived to college on our first day, the dean led us up to our "apartment". It had only two windows and the entire apartment was 400 sq. feet, but the kicker was that it had no running water or a bathroom.
We lived there two years, carting our water from the supply closet that was down the hall to our apartment. We had a "sink" that we would plug and pour water into to do our dishes, and then it would drain into a huge bucket that we would take back down to the supply closet to dump.
We shared a community bathroom that was right down the hall from us and to take showers, I had to go upstairs to the girls shower room and Rodney had to go to the otherside of the building to the guy's shower room. We would tote our belongings with us everytime. Our children would take a bath in rubbermaid totes in the middle of our apartment, which we toted the water from the closet to get.
We had no air conditioning and heaters that would turn on at scheduled times. So in the summer we would be sweating like crazy and the winter we would be freezing waiting for the heater to kick on, and then when it did our little apartment heated up like a sauna.
I look back at it now and am so grateful for our time spent there. We built a lot of memories of our young family and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. We recently went back to the college to visit and I am pleased to say that they remodeled all the married dorms and they all have running water now, but they still share a community bathroom."


Hutchinson Family - "As a mother of four many, many, MANY funny and embarrassing events happen quite often. Funny is when my daughter decided tell her brother the room was a pig “style”!!! And talk about embarrassing on our first beach summer vacation as a family and my son was in the pool with my grandfather and pooped out of the swim diaper! The pool cleared fast because of floating corn. YIKES!"


Nichols Family - "On my birthday, July 1, we all went to one of my favorite "hole in the wall" restuarants. That night they had "live" music.... or something similar... a one man show with a keyboard, sound system and pre-recorded music. He was singing a mismatch of OLD country (pre-Garth) and old southern hymns. My son, Cale, 19 months at the time, would sing (which at 19 months translates into a scream) everytime the man sang. Each time, with the help of my daughter and husband, we tried our best to "sush" him or distract him so he would stop. Sitting at the next table over from us was a man eating by himself and reading the newspaper. During one of Cale's "singing" episodes, our eyes met and I noticed he was laughing. He then turned to me and said, "Oh, let him sing.... he's much better than him (pointing to the "live" music)." At that point, we all started laughing and we let Cale have at it! Cale "sang" at the top of his lungs for the rest of our dinner...and enjoyed every second!  I am sure many people were happy to see us leave the restaurant that night... but one lone man in the back was hoping for an encore! "


Saunders/Jester Family - "For Thanksgiving a few years ago, as a family we decided to go to the beach with just us and my grandparents. We arrived right around dinner at the condo complex we were staying. Our condo was located on the 4th floor so we all loaded our luggage and ourselves onto the elevator and pressed “4”. All of a sudden the elevator made a terrible noise and stopped between the 2nd and 3rd floors. The back of the elevator was glass and opened up to the atrium/lobby of the complex and NO ONE was in sight. Our only option…pick up that scary emergency phone in the box and call 911. We told them that everyone was ok we didn’t want them to come with all the bells and whistles and lights and what do you know? Not only did one fire truck show up but 3 fire trucks showed up. It took 3 firefighters to pry the doors open just enough for us to jump up and squeeze out. We gathered quiet the crowd in the atrium/lobby and it was the joke for the rest of the week. None of us got on an elevator the rest of the week either. It’s something we all still laugh about today, and something that would only happen to my crazy family!"


Baker Family - "One evening me my husband & our 3 year old son went to staples to pIck up a few thIngs. It was tIme for us to check out so we went to stand In lIne.There was a group of hIgh school age girls standIng In front of us jokIng around.One of the gIrls proceeded to "slap the other" (jokIng of course) Well our son saw thIs and went and "spanked" the gIrl on the
bottom .She turned around lookIng at my husband thInkIng It was hIm
HAHA then she looked down when she heard our 3 year old son tell her
"NOT NICE SAY SORRY" my husband and I both trIed to hold back from
laughIng! I was totally embarrassed."


James Family - "Ok pertaining to the picture that I submitted.  My son was finally glad to have graduated kindergarten.  He decided to be silly when it came time to take the picture that is why he is wearing a nose ring.  Lol.  I gotta truely love my children.  They are always doing silly and crazy and embarrassing stuff. "


Swistak Family - "Who knew?
It was Mustache Day at Trader Joe's.
And we were lucky enough to happen upon it.
After our gracious mustache promoter tracked down some
unique 'staches for our entertainment,
we bought some healthy treats and made plans to take lots of pictures.
However, we didn't plan on laughing as much as we did!
Mustaches have not always been a laughing matter.
My dad, Alekzander's "Gruffalo" has always had a mustache.
One Christmas morning, the anticipation flung me out of my bed.
I was so excited to see what Santa brought.
On the way to the tree, I was stopped in my tracks by my Dad's bare face.
It was the first time I had ever seen him without facial hair.
Immediately, I cried and cried and cried.
I told Santa he could take all of my toys if he brought my dad's 'stache back.
I cried some more.
I had to touch his face to make sure it was really still my dad.
{Probably NOT the reception my dad expected on Christmas morning!}
I wish I could say this happened when I was four;
my irrational, emotional outburst would have been understandable.
I believe I was closer to my tween years!
Too bad Trader Joe's Mustache Day
didn't coincide with my very traumatic Christmas morning!"

31 comments:

  1. I vote for the Nichols family! :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for my family! :) (I'm a little biased!) - The Nichols Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote is for the May family. Something about that New Tribes Institute and having to rough it for awhile won my vote...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote is for the Nichols family :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Swistak family!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swistak!!! Oliver is voting for his BFF too so do we count as two votes?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saunders/Jester Family

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hutchinson Family ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Baker Family ALL THE WAY

    ReplyDelete
  10. BAKER BAKER BAKER Hope you guys win kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. May family, they deserve a little love from your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  12. May Family all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote for the May's :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i vote for the baker family. what a sweet picture and Andrew should be a childrens model for sure. Good Luck!
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  15. We vote for the Swistak family, both Dad's are turning 60 this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Baker family has my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I vote for the Swistak Family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Hutchinson family ROCKS

    ReplyDelete
  19. I vote for the Baker family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Baker baker baker baker good luck guys!

    ReplyDelete

Labels