Thursday, August 25, 2011

{Personal Life: First Day of School}

Today was my sweet baby girl's first day of school - kindergarten.  It was bittersweet for me.  She was so excited to go, and I was fine dropping her off and saying goodbye, until I got back to my car and read a poem handout that the teacher gave the parents.  I started to cry.  It reads as follows:

The First Day
I gave you a little wink and smile
As you entered my room today.
For I know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay.
You've been with her for five years now
And have been a loving guide,
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave her at my side.
Just know that as you drive away [I'm crying as I type this, haha]
And tears down your cheeks may flow
I'll love her as I would my own
And help her learn and grow.
For as a teacher, I too know
How quickly the years do pass
Just know that I will protect her
While she's in my class.
So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more
For I will love her and take her in
When you leave her at my door.

*sniff*


1 comment:

  1. can hardly see through the tears to type...Tuesday is my day, AND I teach at his school...so it shouldn't be a big deal?? right?? whatever, it's real school!

    ReplyDelete

Labels