Friday, March 4, 2011

{Regarding Session Booking and Deposits - yes, again}

Hey, everyone, it's Friday!  I don't know about you all, but I always look forward to my weekends.  It means Travis is not working, so there's extra help with the kids.  It means there's usually lots of sessions - especially now that the weather is getting so springy (yay!).  Usually on the weekends I get to do something for myself - shopping, hanging out in one of those big comfy chairs at a bookstore, or just laying on the couch at home and watching movies (I can't do these things unless Travis is home).  Anyway...wait, this wasn't the reason for this post :) 

Ok, so I hate to do this, because I don't like to feel like I'm fussing at you all, but it's a must.  It's a long read, but you need to be informed on this stuff if you're wanting a session with me.

First of all...regarding booking a session.  I book 3-4 weeks in advance.  This means that if you want a session for say, June 18th, you need to get in touch with me around the middle to end of May.  I cannot and do not book sessions for the week we're currently on.  Unless there's a cancelation (or several), I am never able to book something for the same week we're on.  Yes, I do stay that busy.  Not only do I have sessions, but I also have a family to care for.  As much as I LOVE you all and my sessions, my life does not revolve around my sessions.  I wish I could book sessions for you all anytime you want them, but it's just not possible.  I'm sure you all can understand.  Also, something to keep in mind for the nice spring months coming up...they book FAST!  So, if you're wanting a spring session, I recommend booking now, because my calendar is already looking quite full.  This applies to both paid sessions and those of you who have won free sessions.  Oh, and stay tuned because I have another competition coming up soon!

Now, regarding deposits.  This is something I just recently posted on, but there seems to be some sort of miscommunication or misunderstanding going on.  So, let me try to clarify again.  When you contact me and say, "Leah, I want to book May 17th at 2:00 for a family session", I look at my calendar and I say, "Sure, May 17th at 2:00 works great.  I'm going to pencil you in, HOWEVER, I need a 50% deposit to hold your session, because someone else may contact me wanting that same exact spot you want".  So, if you've recently contacted me about booking a certain day at a certain time but have NOT given me your deposit, then your session is NOT guaranteed to you.  In other words, this is almost like a first-come, first-serve kind of thing.  I don't want to not give someone a session because I haven't received your deposit, but here's what happens a lot of times.  I get a request from someone for a session on a specific day and time.  I put you down on the calendar and then I either 1 - never hear back from you or 2 - you cancel for whatever reason (I understand there is validity to the reasons sometimes) or 3 - someone else wants the same day and time you requested and you cancel on me at the last minute, and then I'm left with a session I could've booked to someone else that had a deposit ready.  Does this make sense?  If you're like, ok, the deposit thing is annoying and I don't want to deal with it - then well, I'm not the photographer for you, because I DO require a deposit.  So, that being said...if you have a session with me now and have not given me a deposit, there is absolutely NO guarantee that your session will be available to you.  Your deposit secures your session.  There are several ways to get your deposit to me - you can mail a check (or I can meet you somewhere), you can pay with cash (I can meet you somewhere), or I accept Paypal.  So, there's not an excuse of, "I don't have a way to get the money to you", because there are several ways it can be done.  If *I* have to cancel on you, your deposit *will* be returned to you!  And remember, these deposits are only for people with paid sessions.  If you've WON a FREE session :), then this part on deposits is not for you.

I realize that my business is still a baby, and I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me, but to keep my business growing (and boy, I'm SO excited at how it's grown in just a years time!!), I have to set some ground rules both for myself and for you.  If I don't, my business will be at a stand-still, and I don't want that.  I know you all can understand.  And...I appreciate you all so, so much! - even when I have to fuss at you a little :) 

Now, book away - and contact me via e-mail - boyandgirlphotography{at}gmail{dot}com.  I do not post my number on the internet, so if you prefer to call/text, then shoot me an e-mail and say, "Can I have your number?" and I'll be glad to give it to you.  I look forward to hearing from you all!!

Here you go - a couple more from Steven's session.  Oh, and if haven't yet, 'like' Boy & Girl Photography on Facebook, because sometimes I post things on there that I don't post here - and vice versa.  So, check out both the blog and Facebook! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels