Friday, March 4, 2011

{What To Wear & Not To Wear}

So, a couple weeks ago I mentioned I'd be posting on what not to wear - and what to wear - to a session.  I've had many of you ask me that question, "What do I wear?" and so I decided it was time to write a post designated exactly for that.  Take time to plan what you wear.  Don't just walk out the door on the day of your session with no thought to what you're wearing.  Trust me, it makes a difference.  Clothing can make or break a session.  But don't let it stress you out either!  Enjoy planning it - you will be happy you did! 

Let me start with what NOT to wear to a session.  Of course these are just suggestions.  Take them or leave them.  But, I promise they make a difference in your photos.

1. Do not wear clothing that is too tight or unforgiving.  Put something on - look at yourself in a mirror.  If you for a second hesitate, then don't wear it.  Clothing that makes things stand out (I don't think I need to go into detail here) will not be flattering in your pictures. 

2. Do not wear clothing with huge print or logos on it.  If you're doing a themed shoot (like sports - where everyone is wearing their favorite teams apparel), then logos are fine, otherwise logos or big print are very distracting and take away from YOU.  I don't know how many times I've seen a photo that's great - and then that huge logo on someone's clothing pops out at me.  {Edit}

3.  Don't wear hats - unless it's YOU (meaning you wear them ALL. THE. TIME) or unless it's a hat like a newsboy cap, beret, skull cap, floppy sunhat, etc.  Hats like the ones I just mentioned can actually be very flattering in pictures!  They are cute and stylish. 

4. Don't mix prints and patterns.  Flowers on someone's dress more than likely will not look good standing next to someone who has stripes on their shirt. 

Here are some things to wear or do.  Also just suggestions.  Take it or leave it :) 

1. Do accessorize in moderation.  Put on a scarf, big bracelet, tie, etc.  Wear a hat like the ones I mentioned above.  And when I say a tie, I don't mean to come wearing a suit (unless you're doing a business session).  Ties look great as just an accessory to jeans and a polo shirt.  It works, believe me. 


2. Do layer.  Put that cardigan on over your shirt and then add a scarf.  Put those leg warmers (yes, they are so 80's but so back in style) over your skinny jeans.  Put a navy blue top over a peek-a-boo yellow striped cami.  Get where I'm going with this?  Layering can be really fun and cool! 

3. Do mix and match your colors.  Everyone doesn't have to be "matchy-matchy" in a session.  In other words, everyone doesn't have to wear all jeans and white shirts.  If that's what you want to do, then ok, but color-cordinating is a lot more fun and attractive. 

4. Do wear prints - BUT if you're in a session with multiple people, avoid too many prints, especially if they're all different.  A couple people can wear prints (that cordinate) and then the others can wear solids that match the prints.  Make sense? 

Here's a picture of clothing for a family session that works well together.  It's not my photo.  Just one I found on Bing.


And one more that's more springish.  Also not my photo.  Borrowed from Bing (thanks to whoever took these photos!)


So, I hope this has been helpful to you all.  And if you have any questions or just aren't sure if an outfit looks right, feel free to ask me any questions!  I love fashion and style and will be glad to help you out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels